Sunday, February 19, 2012

Sour Cream Saga, continued

My last post talked about the sour cream crisis in Angola, and apparently I have been deeply affected by it. On Friday JoAnn and I went to ShopRite, which is the closest store to the compound.  They don't carry sour cream, and their selection of food isn't the nicest - but it's a place we go at least once a week and stock up on basics.  So - we're cruising around ShopRite, chatting on a quiet Friday morning, when suddenly I shouted out, "SHUT THE FRONT DOOR!"  JoAnn practically hit the floor, she was so scared, and another lady turned around to stare at me - but I didn't care, I had found SOUR CREAM!!!!  Not only that, but it was less than half the price that the other store charges for it!  The lady that was staring at me couldn't stop laughing, but once she saw what we were excited about, she hurried over to snag some sour cream for herself.  JoAnn and I generously let her have one - and we cleaned out the store of the remaining containers.  I have a sneaking suspicion that I will have a hard time settling back in to life in the US when we return....I feel like I'll be one of those crazed shoppers who have a full stock of hundreds of grocery items in their house at all times.

While we're on the topic of ShopRite, I'll give you an example of why I say it's not the nicest place.  We were trying to find our usual brand of pasta sauce on Friday as well, and though we found it - we didn't end up purchasing any.  Even though JoAnn and I have really prided ourselves on lowering our standards, we couldn't force ourselves to buy the pasta sauce that was covered in ants.  If it had been the sour cream, though - I might have brushed them off!

No comments:

Post a Comment