Friday, January 18, 2013

You Don't See That Every Day (unless you live in Angola, in which case you do see it every day and likely don't even notice anymore)

I just returned from an outing to several stores.  The first place I went was Kero, which is sort of an Angolan version of Wal-Mart.  It's big, has more selection than most stores, and it's clean-ish.  Today I noticed that they had put out a big display of back-to-school items.  I wandered over, and was surprised to see that they actually had a fair amount of notebooks, pencils, and backpacks.  A one-subject notebook with 80 pages was $9, so definitely not Wal-Mart prices....but that's typical for Angola.  What  did surprise me, though, was the picture on the front of the notebooks.

Yes, this is perfect for my 12 year old.
I know not all students are children, but really?  There were no other options for sale, so apparently someone thinks that this is appropriate for all students.  My poor children are going to have to suffer with their plain old, purchased in the USA notebooks!

On the way home, we passed by a strip of road that has lots of people selling different items.  It's a busy section of town, and people gather under an overpass to sell their wares.  I noticed two women sitting on plastic crates, getting their nails done - by what looked to be nine year old boys!  It seems a little unsanitary, getting a manicure under the highway...but maybe I'm just picky.  I paint my own nails, but I'm thinking maybe I should start training Miles, just in case he needs to earn some money.

All in all, it was a fairly entertaining outing.  I still miss my shopping buddy, JoAnn - it's really not the same when you're laughing to yourself about the strange things you see here - but I'm doing okay.

1 comment:

  1. Hello. I am an American in Huambo working on water quality issues. I appreciate your blog and I am looking for other Americans in Huambo. Thanks for your funny and interesting posts. My immediate challenge, disinfection from sewage overflow without bleach (I cant find bleach).

    Thanks, Dave Zabe

    ReplyDelete