Thursday, January 10, 2013

Friday 'From Scratch' - Volume 2

It's FRIDAY!!!  I get to post my week of slaving away in the kitchen, and even better - I only have one more day to slave away at the gym!  I'm really determined to take advantage of the awesome trainer we have here, so five days a week, I'm at her mercy.  It's fabulous torture.  But along with the workouts, I'm trying to eat more healthily, so it's been a somewhat light week of baking.  Anyway, on to what's been cookin' here in Angola.


  • Spaghetti Bread.  This is really a carb-fest, but the kids and Adam love it.  I started with the directions here Braided Spaghetti Bread but of course, I have to make my own bread dough.  Then, depending on what I have in the house, I will throw in some extra stuff like sausage or ground beef.  It looks fancy, but it's really easy.
  • Hummus.  My friend Shimo taught JoAnn and I to make hummus last year, and it's become a staple at our house.  I make a double batch, and then everyone (except Max) gobbles it up with carrots, celery, and peppers.  The recipe has garbanzo beans, garlic, tahini (sesame paste), lemon juice, cumin, and salt.
  • Waffles - same recipe as last week, just another batch for the always hungry kiddos.  Sidenote - our maid thinks waffles are the most delicious thing, EVER.  She'd never had them before we came here.  I think I'll pass on my waffle iron to her when we leave.
  • Stuffed Chicken with Pasta.  This is one of the first dinners I ever made when Adam and I were newly married, and it's still one of his favorites.  Very simple, you just slice chicken breasts down the middle (but don't cut all the way through), and then cut a slit into each side and stuff with cheese.  Put the chicken breasts into a pan and cover them with spaghetti sauce, and bake at 400F for one house, and serve over pasta. 
I think that's about it.  We're having guests over for dinner tonight, and Adam is going to barbecue some hamburgers.  I'll make some buns for that, and a salad and maybe potato wedges.  All in all, sort of a boring week in the kitchen.  Although....Molly opened up a brand new giant box of Rice Krispies this week, and was treated to a bowl full of bugs!  So I guess excitement in the kitchen is over-rated.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Katie! I am so pleased to have found your blog. We are a French American family that is currently in Pittsburgh, who moved from Norway, and Texas before that. We have been asked how we "feel" about Angola (Stavanger is on the table too, all for this summer). I'm just starting the information gathering process, but your blog is helpful. We had some French friends who recently moved back to Houston this fall who lived in Luanda for about three years. So I am thinking you don't regret the move? Anyhow, thanks for the blog! It's inspiring me to update my own (Pittsburgh isn't all that exciting though!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Melissa! It's so nice to hear from a fellow American! To answer your question, no, I don't regret the move. A year ago my answer would have been different, but I think I'm just slow to adjust to such a drastic change. I'd be glad to help and answer any questions if your family does consider moving here. There are lots of lovely people here who are all going through it together, so that's a big plus. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Katie! I will definitely holler at you and will continue to check out your blog. It's all very preliminary at this point, but we are trying to get out of our comfort zone and at least give it a thought.

    ReplyDelete