Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Water

I'm currently feeling like I'm on the verge of a breakdown.  I have only been back in Angola for TWO WEEKS, and all of my energy and determination and positive attitude have been drained out of me.  That whole, "It's a new year!" thing is not really going like I planned it....to say the least.

So, the water situation? On Monday the repairmen (five of them - one to work, and four to sit around and chat with him) fixed the leaky pipe on our water pump, and we were once again able to shower and do laundry and flush toilets!  Tuesday morning I realized that even though we had running water again, we had no HOT water.  After approximately a hundred phone calls, I finally had two guys at my house to see what the problem was.  They climbed up in our attic (where the water heaters are installed) and 'fixed' the problem.  I use that term a little sarcastically, because as they were leaving the house, Max informed me that we no longer had running water!  Now, just so you get the whole picture - while this is going on, the electrician had also showed up at the house.  He's the same guy that has come several times to check on our breaker box, and each time tell me that there's nothing wrong.  Remember when I said I had bad luck?  I was so wrong!  I was lucky enough that our power went out at the exact moment that this electrician showed up, which proved to him that perhaps I wasn't just imagining this problem with the breaker.  I also had a random guy show up to inspect our fire extinguishers, as well as a new neighbor drop by to chat. Good times.

I'd like to say that there was a resolution to any one of these problems yesterday, but there was not.  The electrician said that 'maybe tomorrow' he'd install a new breaker box.  The water guys did get the water running again, but a couple of hours later, Adam and I realized that the water pressure was really low.  We couldn't find another leak in the water pump, so we weren't sure what to think.....until it was time for bed.  I went to check on the kids, and stepped in a puddle of water in Molly's room.  Guess what?  Our attic is filled with at least 2 inches of water, and it's leaking out into the bedrooms! I'm really starting to question how much more of this I can take.  I know there are literally millions of people with bigger problems, but the constant stress of these issues is taking its toll on me.  I feel like I'm playing a twisted game of "Whack-a-Mole," but instead of moles, it's house problems popping up all around me.

On the bright side - some things have been great since we got back.  Our housekeeper is just as wonderful as ever, and I am so thankful for her.  One of my pearl earrings fell out over the weekend, and none of us could find it.  On Monday, before I could even ask her to keep an eye out for it - she found it and brought it to me!  Our new driver, Tomas, is everything that the other drivers weren't - he is friendly, helpful, kind, and reliable.  Having two wonderful people doing the jobs that impact me most is a huge deal - so I will be very grateful, and try to keep my head above water.  Ha.

No comments:

Post a Comment