Thursday, December 13, 2012

Left Behind

One of the hardest parts about expat life is that nothing is permanent.  The cycle of new families arriving and other families leaving is tough.  I've learned in the past year that the friendships made when you are living overseas tend to be on fast-forward; people become close very quickly, and when they move, it leaves a big hole in the community. Even here, where close friendships are a necessity, the closeness of my friendship with JoAnn is unusual.  Even the cashiers at the supermarkets (who are known for their blank stares and careless attitudes) comment on the rare occasions when we aren't together.  She's my constant companion, my partner in crime....and she's leaving me behind.

We knew it was coming, but that doesn't make it any easier to say goodbye.  My kids are devastated that their friends are leaving, and they are sad for me, too.  I'm feeling a mix of emotions - I'm definitely going to miss JoAnn terribly, but I am also incredibly grateful for the time we've had.  She was here when I needed her most - when I felt like I couldn't make it another day here, she'd come and drag me out of the house and make me laugh.  When I ran out of something, she'd bring some over.  No matter how miserable my day was, or how awful I felt - she was the kick in the pants I needed to keep going.  And even though she's leaving, our friendship will be a permanent one.

As sad as I am for me, I'm happy for her, and for her extended family.  I know everyone back in the US has missed JoAnn, her husband, and her kids - so they'd better take really good care of them!  They are a special family, and Angola won't be the same without them.


No comments:

Post a Comment