Monday, February 3, 2014

Adjustments

Well, we are officially out of Angola. I swore up and down that I would NOT be sad to go, that I would NOT miss it.....but I lied. I miss seeing Sao and Tomas. They became part of our family, and I will never forget the kindness and gentle patience they showed us.



I miss the friends we made in Angola. I know I've said it before, but being in a place like Angola really brings out the best and worst in people. There were countless times that another person came to my rescue, and I will miss knowing that I always had people to help nearby.

Life back in the US is great, though overwhelming at times. I needed to go grocery shopping today, and halfway through I felt like I was sort of panicked. There are SO many choices! So much food, so many options....it really made my head spin.  I really would like to find a smaller store to shop at, at least until I get acclimated...isn't that silly?

The kids are handling the transition pretty well. They've all said that school is great, though they do have more homework here. We are all anxious to get moved into our new house, as this temporary apartment living is chaotic!

All in all, I feel so thankful for the experiences we've had in Africa.  Our family has a new appreciation for life, and a new outlook that I don't think we could have gotten without this journey.  If anyone reading this has the chance to live overseas, I highly recommend you do it.  It's not for everyone, but even a scaredy-cat like me managed to do it!

8 comments:

  1. Hi! If you miss Angola that much, you should follow this website:
    http://www.angolamonitor.co.ao/en/ It has news, photos, videos, restaurants and hotels, funny posts, ... all about Angola!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Katie,

    My name is Joe Pinzone and I'm casting an international travel show about expats moving abroad. We'd love to film in Angola and wanted to know if you could help us find expats who have moved there within the last 15 months or have been there for 3-4 years, but recently moved into a new home. The show documents their move to a new country and will place the country in fabulous light. The contributors on the show would also receive monetary compensation if they are filmed. If you'd like more information, please give me a call at 212-231-7716 or skype me at joefromnyc. You can also email me at joepinzone@leopardusa.com. Looking forward to hearing from you.

    Joe Pinzone
    Casting Producer
    P: 212-231-7716
    Skype: Joefromnyc

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi All we're also new here in Luanda-but can help out with some informations.
    Let me know if you still require some infos about Angola.
    Thanks.
    Consea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi guys.

    My name is José Tchikete and I live in Angola but i want to move abroad for education. Please help me out with sponsorship please.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi guys.

    My name is José Tchikete and I live in Angola but i want to move abroad for education. Please help me out with sponsorship please.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi guys.

    My name is José Tchikete and I live in Angola but i want to move abroad for education. Please help me out with sponsorship please.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Katie,
    We are Americans currently living in TX and have been told that Angola is a very strong chance of being our next stop in the very near future. We have been expats in Qatar but 10 years ago and also lived in AK. I am trying to do some preparing ahead of time and wondered what I should stock up on that you think is important for me to bring over in our first big shipment because after that they are much smaller yearly shipments. I would like to bring as much in the first one as I can but since it has not been announced quite yet , I am unable to find out much information about all of this from his company. ANything you can share would be greatly appreciated. If you would rather respond via my email, it is mfj434@gmail.com Thank you so much for any help you can be. PS we willl not have any children with us, they are young adults but will be bringing a 4 year old golden doodle.
    Frances

    ReplyDelete